Tuesday, February 27, 2007

In memory of Grandma







These past few weeks have been a time of a lot of contemplation, pondering, gratitude, tears, joy and change. My grandma died on Feb 6 in her homeland of hawaii at the age of 70. She got a bladder infection, and as it went untreated, it went into her blood stream causing septisemia(sp?) and within 48 hours she was gone. Just two days before she died, so a few hours before she got really sick, she and grandpa called on their cell phones to sing "Head, shoulders knees and toes" to addie. Oh how I wish I could have recorded that.

Grandma is a second mother to me. Being out here in Utah without my own mom with me all the time, I have some to spend more intimate time with Janet. I call her Janet a lot, since Kenneth does...as well as it just fits her. She called me "child of my Heart". We were both cancer signs...children of the moon and water...which she would always use to define the deeper meaning of any physical or emotional troubles. For those of you who don't know her, I am sorry. She was an incredibly unique woman, and I really don't think that I could accurately describe her personality. It is so deep, unique, hilarious, eclectic and wonderful. But here are somethings that I love about her:


She was an island girl


She loved the ocean.


She talked to plant and animals. I am sure they talked back to her


She had the greenest thumb I have ever seen. She could touch the deadest plant, and it would bloom.

She was blunt yet understanding

She was a mermaid. She never got out of the water

SHe was an AMAZING cook. there is a phrase in our house "Janet Salads" or "Janet soups". She was an artist in the kitchen and could concoct the most organic, colorful, delicious food out of nothing. well, everything, but how she did it and with what, we never knew.


She was a master at just BEING.


She taught yoga for over 35 years, and still practiced till the day she died


She was immortal. I never considered her a "senior". It was the tan I guess:)


She was always spontanious. Any little hitch in the routine she turned into an adventure.
To her favorite things, she would always respond "oh...it's WONderful!"
She was intune with her self, the earth, God, and all that was around her. She was always present.

She always had dirt in the back seat (and under her nails) during the spring and summer (planting season)
She always brought over left over avacados and spinach (she must have gotten them at costco)

She taught me to love the ocean, people for who they were, flowers, color, yoga, breathing, life for what it gives you.

She loved, even CRAVED diversity.

She craved beauty.

Oh I could go on and on and on. She was (is) one of my best friends. I have felt such a void with her gone, yet in some ways I feel her even closer than I did before. She taught me so much. I always felt like she KNEW me. I have so much that I wanted to learn from her still. THat is the hardest part. She knew so much. She was wise to the very core. Kenneth comforted me though, when he mentioned that I have access to the same power that she had. so true. I feel such an urge to learn and live in the ways that she tried to. It gives me comfort since I feel like I can pass on some of her legacy. I have found myself forgiving more freely, eating more healthy, doing more yoga, breathing, surrounding myself with more beauty, reading, meditating, just BEING and accepting what comes in life without a fight. These are things that she taught me, and I want to embody in myself. I makes me feel closer to her, and in some ways, keeps her with me always. I love you grandma.








No comments: