Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The person who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.


Ok, so am I the only one who wishes they could lose 10 pounds in a month and a half? Go cold turkey on not eating any more empty carbs? exercize everyday and instantly create the habit? In my wise 27 years, I have learned that I just need to realize dreams and goals never happen in huge chunks. I am just not capable of changing that fast! So, this year, for new years, instead of setting the goal to go to the gym 3 days a week, and eat a completely healthy diet, I decided to take baby steps.


After reading the article in Oprah's magazine in Jan (the first time i read her mag by the way...if they are all as good as Jan.'s issue, I am hooked!) I came across her article about her battle to lose weight, and who it was that helped her. Bob Greene has now become a celebrity because of his association with Oprah. HIs philosophies really aren't anything new, just really really easy to digest ( no pun intended). His whole thing is to start realistically by just upping your activity level first for the first month. then, start by cutitng back on empty calories, replacing them with more veggies, fruits and whole grains. the process starts there, as you then gradually increase your activity level, and let your body get in the habit of wanting to eat right and stay active. There is really no secret (well, he has a few helpful hints to keep you going...like don't eat after 7 pm, etc.) But it got me thinking, I can do that!


So, I did! Jan was my month to just start moving more! I didnt realize that by the end of the day, I wasn't tired because I had run and biked across my apartment, I was exhausted because I was taking care of two babies...which actually involves a lot of sitting and standing. my body was slouched and tired! I needed more strength than I had! So, I started with Tae Bo, walking and stretching. Gradually moving to weights, and cycling (spinning class) 3 times a week. I feel so great! I am not losing weight as Fast as I would like, but I am getting inches off (I think...at least kenneth says I am). I am gaining a lot more muscle, which weighs more than fat, so that must be why. It took me three weeks to really get addicted. Now, if i go a day without really getting my heart rate up, I feel sluggish, and lazy. Even just doing jumping jacks with my kids works. Kenneth says that my morning spinning class is my dose of prozac for the day. I don't have depression, but man! the days that I exercize, I feel sexy, I am nice to my kids all day, and I just feel happy! so, even if the weight is coming off slower than I'd like, it is worth is, since I am feeling better. and isn't that the point? life is enjoyed so much more that way.


As far as eating, I am doing a lot better. I am realizing even more, that when I feed my body the fuel that it needs to get through my days (which are hard!!) I do so much better. If I eat food my body can use, it uses it, and I feel light and energized. When I let myself have junk, I feel like junk. It's really that easy. But the hard part is reminding myself that when I REALLY want chocolate for lunch:) It has also helped that I have just gotten rid of the tempting stuff. I just threw it away. And, it helps too, that my husband really feels the same way. Last night, between teaching and driving up to SLC for his master's class, he picked up Carls Junior. And this morning, he felt sick! In his own words: "i never thought I would see the day where Carl's Junior wasn't appetizing anymore" So, having a husband that is all for fish and broccolli and whole wheat couscous for dinner is great!


So, this is my quest: baby steps. One new good habit at a time. If I bite off more than I can chew, I will just end up spitting it out. So far, this is working because I am letting myself really get used to my new way of doing things. and I am feeling great!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll still never forget the tagline for Carls Jr. I saw once:

"Without us, some men would starve."

:D

Sarah Jane said...

how about:

"without us, more men would live"

:)