Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just stay little.




We are shoe shopping again and Ian's pants are too small, and I find myself groaning not for the lack of funds to clothe my children (well that too), but for my babies that aren't going to be babies forever.

I have a funny feeling that in 10 years, Ian won't want to hold my hand. Or kiss my lips. Or lay his heavy head into my neck. Or brush my hair.

Addie isn't going to ask my permission to use nail polish. She won't be kissing my owies. Her bum won't fit into my hand. And she won't be wrapping her body around my torseau and clinging to me when she is scared of loud noises.

I hope she still says "Mom, we're the girls" and "You're my best friend" like she does now. And that Ian will still tell everyone he meets that I am his mom...with that proud inflection in his voice.

Oh--Ache my heart for little feet, little hands, little voices, little noses, little kisses, little laughs and little shoes.

Just stay little.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Little Sweethearts said...

Oh, how I can relate to how you are feeling. The kids just had a bath. I still use the same hooded towels as when they were born. The colours have faded and the towel that I once used to wrap them in, now barely covers their bum... I suppose soon they won't even be sharing the tub anymore.

But no matter how big they grow, they will always be our little sweethearts!

Tania

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

Oh how I know that feeling! I feel it every day. If only life had a pause button. :)

Elise said...

Oh, how I hear what you're saying. I look at my little girl and sometimes wish that she could stay as she is forever. Then I see mums with their teenage daughters in the shops and that makes me think that one day that will be Savanna and I - shopping together, sharing a high tea together etc, etc. I just hope that Sav and I have the same bond that I share with my mum.

Artfulife said...

I know any mom who reads this blog entry will sympathise with you. I have a 7 year old daughter and it is very strange to watch the dynamics of the mother daughter relationship change. Rollie Pollie Ollie and other cute things of the younger years have been replaced by High School Musical and Hannah Montana. Those things are ok, just diffrent. She still likes to hold my hand, and I hope she will for a long time to come.

Anonymous said...

I sooo hear you on this. The Tooth Fairy made her first visit to our house last night...

Hannah S said...

Great photo! Um, I can't relate to the rest of you. I don't cherish those moments. I am just too impatient for life to move on. It's a good lesson for me to learn how bcse I keep being told I will miss this time. Thanks for sharing!

Christina said...

I totally hear you on this! I've really enjoyed baby 2 much more than #1 because the first time I was so excited about what was coming next, but now that I know what's coming I've been able to soak up each moment with the second baby. It's one of the most bittersweet things about being a mom, I think, is watching them grow.

Chelle said...

That was beautifully put.

I share your ache already and my little one just turned two.

Anonymous said...

It is happening to me ladies... my first 2 babies are 17 and 15.5 ! They are wonderful and I can see the little person in this new bigger version it's the same , but different. No, they do not hold my hand anymore and sometimes it makes me sad I can't carry them off to bed anymore. They are becoming there own wonderful people and they do still tell me they love me and we enjoy each other almost everyday. Enjoy the stages your children go through they all part of who they become.
Smiles and a few tears... julie

Ann said...

Well... I am at 10 years later... mine are 11 and 12. But let me assure you that my boy does still snuggle up to me and my daughter loves it when we watch a chick-flick together. No, they don't have adorable little things to say, but they do have amazing insights. And no, they don't fit in your lap (I tried to pick up my son the other day and we dissolved on the floor in a fit of giggles) but it's easier to hug someone who is almost as tall as you are.
Don't dispair too much. It stays good!

Nicole said...

I just found your blog ( LOVE it;0) ) and oh how my heart ached reading your post today!! I can relate so much it brought me to tears! My oldest will be 5 , in 2.5 months and is practically ready to move out on her own, well not really but at least 30 times I day she says "I'm a bigger girl now Mama, I can do it myself, I know how! " Oh what's a sad Mama to do?

katharine said...

you always bring tears to my eyes reminding me of these sweet moments that are fleeting away from me!

Nancy said...

I feel the same way, and mine aren't even that little anymore! But you do have fun with them at every stage, and I believe deep down they always want affection!

Kellie H said...

I am there too. My oldest is 5 and my youngest is 19 mths. I think that I am done having children...and that crosses my mind every once in a while that I do not get to experience this age again. I am relishing it as Christina said. Once & forever our babes they will be, right? =)

Jaimee McClellan said...

I have the same thoughts daily as I put my son to bed. It almost always brings me to tears... and I'm not a "crier".